Transforming Social Norms to End Child Marriage and Advance Girls’ Education
How can social norms be targeted to advance girls’ education and end child marriage?
Child marriage serves as a barrier to education for many girls, yet ending child marriage and transforming social norms are rarely explicit education goals. There is a need to share available research and promote evidence-based advocacy to inform programming, research, funding, and decision-making. In the context of global disruption to education due to COVID-19, the Global Education Summit presents an important opportunity to influence the global agenda on gender equality in education. UNGEI and Girls Not Brides* are joining forces to learn and exchange around the social and gender norms which serve as barriers to girls’ education in sub-Saharan Africa, with a focus on child marriage.
Webinar moderator: Eline Versluys, Gender at the Centre Initiative Manager, UNGEI
- Kelly Yotebieng, Independent Research Consultant, UNGEI
- Mundia Situmbeko, Africa Engagement Officer, Girls Not Brides
- Jorge Ubaldo Colin Pescina, Education Specialist, Global Partnership for Education
- Helen Grant MP, UK Special Envoy for Girls’ Education, UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)
- Noëlie Sinare, national consultant, Girls Not Brides Education Out Loud (EOL) project in Burkina Faso
- Lydia Hedwige Hounon, national consultant, Girls Not Brides Education Out Loud (EOL) project EOL in Niger
- Wadi Ben-Hirki, Gender Equality Advocate, Nigeria
- Hawa Yokie, Member of the Generation Equality Youth Task Force and Founder of the Africa Girls Empathy, Sierra Leone
- Hélène Ferrer, Cheffe du pôle Genre, éducation, population et jeunesse, Ministère de l'Europe et des Affaires étrangères (MoEFA)
Simultaneous translation in English, French and Portuguese will be provided.
Captions in English will be provided: http://streamtext.net/player?event=CFI-UNGEI
*Co-funded by Education Out Loud
This event will be re-streamed as part of the Girls' Education Challenge day on 26 July.
Presentations / Présentations / Apresentações h4>
Amplify, promote, and share this event! h4>
Nous attendons impatiemment @ungei @GirlsNotBrides événement parallèle #GES2021: Transformer les normes sociales pour mettre fin au mariage des enfants et promouvoir l’éducation des filles !
📅 20 juillet
🕒13:00 Ouagadougou | 14:00 Lagos | 16:00 Nairobi
S’inscrire : bit.ly/transform-social-norms-GES2021