Feminist Network for Gender Transformative Education
2-3 November, 2023 | Istanbul
Feminist Network for Gender Transformative Education is a convening of powerful feminist voices working together to accelerate progress towards gender transformative education around the world.
This annual event brings together civil society organisations, international and national NGOs, young feminist activists, academics, government representatives and multilateral partnerships and funds to inspire, elevate and advance gender equality in and through education.
The theme for 2023 is: h1>
Building Just and Equal Societies: the Power of Gender Transformative Education h1>
Achieving Gender Transformative Education
- What is needed to teach learners gender equality?
- What do gender equal schools look like?
- How can the community support gender equal schools and learners?
- How should the education system guarantee the right to gender equality?
Learning Lessons from Successful Advocacy
- Lessons from successes in global health and education, e.g. investment in vaccines, support for early childhood education, dedicated funding for education in emergencies
- Tactics from rights movements including abortion rights in Central and South America, human rights in Turkey and LGBTQI+ rights in many countries
- Top ten gender equality, child rights that education should protect
Coming together for a Whole-Girl Approach
- Articulating a singular girls’ rights agenda that brings together SRHR, GBV, child marriage, FGM, HIV, climate justice and child labour with educational priorities including foundational learning, digital literacy, out of school children
- Emancipating boys from patriarchy
Decolonising Data and Research
- Elevating and centering developing country data, research expertise
- How to count disability, LGBTQI+ and other minority identities ingender-responsive ways
- What can data and evidence learn from feminist storytelling traditions?
The agenda is being developed in collaboration with organizations from the UNGEI Partnership
Some of the outcomes already identified for this year include:
- A results framework for gender transformative education
- A roadmap to gender equal schools
- 2024 advocacy and influence calendar
- Solidarity manifesto for all gender equality rights organizations
- Glossary for gender transformative education (2023-2024)
Feminists don’t let other feminists give up. We’re here to support each other, we’re here to uphold each other, and to smash the patriarchy.
Who is part of the Network
Invitees for Feminist Network for Gender Transformative Education 2023 are selected by identified by a Planning Group convened by UNGEI.
Invitees are chosen on the basis of their:
- Commitment to gender-transformative education, girls education programming and/or have expertise in gender equality in education, feminism and education rights and access
- Geographic location, with priority given to organisations and individuals based in and/or delivering programming, research or support in low and middle income countries
- Lived experience in the issues around feminism and gender equality
- Commitment to UNGEI’s core values of equality, inclusion, non-discrimination, anti-racism, mutual accountability, decolonisation of development and feminism
Young feminist activists (aged 18-30), national or grassroots CSOs with lived experience of the impact of gender inequality in education and individuals and organisations working at the intersectionality of gender and inclusivity, in particular around disability and education and LGBTQI+ rights are prioritised.
Financial support is available for a number of selected CSOs and individual activists to attend the in-person event.
About Feminist Network for Gender Transformative Education
2023 marks the second time UNGEI has brought together extraordinary feminist leaders to advance gender transformative education around the world. In 2022, UNGEI convened impactful feminist civil society organisations and young feminist activists as part of the Transforming Education Summit in New York. Learn more about the 2022 event here.
FemNet4GTE was developed in partnership with and is generously funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation (BMZ) and Echidna Giving. In 2023, Feminist Network for Gender Transformative Education is delivered in collaboration with UNICEF Türkiye.