Gender transformative education: the key to achieving a more just and inclusive world
On the 26th July 2021, Plan, UNGEI and UNICEF co-hosted a side event to the Global Education Summit, "Gender transformative education: the key to achieving a more just and equal world".
In recent years, gender transformative education has emerged as an approach, an objective, and a call to action for comprehensive education reform, to secure real and lasting outcomes towards gender equality in and beyond education. The phrase “gender transformative education” is used in various contexts and by many different actors - but a universal understanding of the phrase has yet to emerge. This side event aims to further answer the question “What is gender transformative education?”, redefining how we approach gender equality in education and providing practical solutions for harnessing GPE grants for education transformation.
Moderator: Yona Nestel, Inclusive, Quality Education Lead, Plan International
- Dennis Glasgow, Director of Aspire Youth Network Guyana and member of Transform Education (young feminist coalition hosted by UNGEI)
- Lauren Rumble, Principal Adviser, Gender Equality, UNICEF
- madeleine kennedy-macfoy, Coordinator, Human and Trade Union Rights & Equality Unit, Education International
- Martha Muhwezi, Executive Director, FAWE
- Sally Gear, Head of Profession for Education, UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office
- Samyukta Subramanian, Program Lead – Early years, Pratham Education Foundation