WHAT IS UNGEI
About Us: Global Advisory Committee and Partners
Norad (Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation)
Norad's most important task is to contribute in the international cooperation to fight poverty. From February 2004 Norad is reorganized to fulfil a new role and new expectations. Norad will contribute to effective management of development funds and ensure that the Norwegian development cooperation has high quality and is evaluated.
Norway’s efforts to promote education.
Norway emphasises in particular:
- A coherent approach to the education sector, including vocational training and higher education, but with the main focus on basic education
- Strengthening the capacity of the education system and reforms
- Increased mobilisation of national resources for education
- Qualitative improvements, such as teacher education reforms and better teaching aids
- Education for girls and women
- Education for vulnerable and marginalised groups, such as children with disabilities and indigenous peoples
- School facilities for children in conflicts and emergencies
- HIV/AIDS and their consequences for education
- Cooperation between the public, civil and non-governmental sectors, particularly in the context of vocational training and adult education.
Schooling important for girls
Norway particularly supports projects and programmes that promote gender equality and education for girls and women.
Norad wishes to help make parents and local communities more aware of the importance of allowing girls to attend school, so that they are not taken out of primary school at a young age to work or care for their family. Moreover, schools must be adapted for girls to ensure that they enjoy being there and complete their schooling. It must feel safe to go to school.
It is also important that more women become teachers or pursue another course of higher education and thus become role models for young girls.
Read an interview with Nora Fyles, Head of UNGEI Secretariat and the Norwegian press, Bistandsaktuelt.
Norad on UNGEI
Advisor, Education Section
Department of Education & Research
P.O. Box 8034 Dep. NO-0030 Oslo, Norway
or Ruselokkvn. 26, NO-0030 Oslo, Norway