NEWS AND EVENTS
News and Events:
20 years on – FAWE returns to its birthplace to chart its new course for the future
FAWE is hosting a two-day strategic planning meeting at the Rockefeller Foundation’s Bellagio Centre in Italy – the birthplace of the organisation – from 26 to 28 September 2012. During this event, FAWE’s management, its strategic and funding partners and young beneficiaries of its work will reflect on its role and contribution to gender equality and education in Africa over the past 20 years.
The group will also critique and provide input into FAWE’s Strategic Plan 2013-2017 that seeks to address emerging needs and challenges in the education sector in Africa within the context of the post-2015 Millennium Development Goals (MDG) agenda.
The new Plan will come into force in January 2013 and focus on:
- Enabling change in communities and school by working alongside girls, their families, communities, schools and other stakeholders to make positive impact on girls’ access, performance, retention and empowerment
- Documenting evidence and good practice and sharing learning to create a knowledge hub for girls’ education issues in Africa
- Supporting governments and ministers to support girls by working with national governments and policy-makers to ensure gender-sensitive education policies are developed and implemented
- Strengthening the FAWE network by working in cross-functional teams across the organisation
- Creating a movement for change in girls’ education through partnerships with a wide range of government and non-government organisations, funders, donors and other committed organisations and individuals.
Through the Bellagio meeting, FAWE is essentially positioning itself to contribute to empowering African boys and girls through relevant quality education and to be at the forefront of a movement of Africans leading African development in the coming years.