Information by Country
Global Education First Initiative High-Level Event: Quality Education for the World We Want
WHEN: Wednesday 24 September 2014, 3:00 PM – 5:30 PM ET
WHERE: Trusteeship Council Chamber, UN Headquarters, New York (Access instructions)
Live webcast will be available at http://webtv.un.org
World leaders will come together at the Global Education First Initiative’s (GEFI) high-level event on 24 September, Quality Education for the World We Want, to pledge their political commitment for quality education; galvanizing action to give every child and youth an equal chance of reaching their full potential.
The UN Secretary-General launched GEFI in September 2012 to accelerate progress towards the Education for All goals and the education-related Millennium Development Goals. With the 2015 deadline for these goals approaching, this event is an important opportunity for GEFI’s Champion Countries and Steering Committee members to advocate their ambitious vision for quality education.
Held during the 69th session of the UN General Assembly, the event will feature an inspiring conversation among world leaders, highlighting why quality education should be at the heart of the world we want. It will focus on the important role of international cooperation and partnerships in education in making quality education a reality for all.
The event, which is hosted by the UN Secretary-General, Mr. Ban Ki-moon, will include Heads of State and Government, GEFI Steering Committee members, and other esteemed dignitaries. First Lady Michelle Obama of the United States will deliver the special keynote address.
Other speakers include:
1. Benin, H. E. Mr. Boni Yayi, President
2. Croatia, H.E Mr. Ivo Josipovic, President
3. Dominican Republic, H.E. Danilo Medina Sanchez, President
4. Guyana, H.E. Mr. Donald Ramotar, President
5. Republic of Korea, H.E. Ms. Park Geun-hye, President
6. Tunisia, H.E Mr. Moncef Marzouki, President
7. Andorra, H.E. Mr. Antoni Marti, Head of Government
8. Bangladesh, H.E. Ms. Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister
9. Denmark, H.E. Ms. Helle Thorning-Schmidt, Prime Minister
10. Ethiopia, H.E. Mr. Hailemariam Desalegn, Prime Minister
11. Norway, H.E. Ms Erna Solberg, Prime Minister
12. South Africa, H.E. Ms. Bathabile Dlamini, Minister of Social Development
13. China, H.E. Mr. Hao Ping, Vice Minister of Education
14. Mozambique, H.E. Mr. Arlindo Chilundo, Deputy Minister of Education
15. UN Deputy Secretary-General, Jan Eliasson
16. H.H. Sheikha Moza, MDG 2 Advocate
17. Special Envoy for Global Education, Mr. Gordon Brown
18. Education International, Ms. Susan Hopgood, President
19. Global Campaign for Education, Ms. Camilla Croso, President
20. Global Partnership for Education, Ms. Alice Albright, President
21. UNDP, Ms. Helen Clark, Administrator
22. UNESCO, Ms. Irina Bokova, Director-General
23. UNFPA, Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin, Executive Director
24. UN Women, Ms. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director
25. World Bank, Mr. Jim Yong Kim, President
26. Youth Advocacy Group, Ms. Sumaya Saluja, Representative
The event will be live tweeted from @GlobalEduFirst. Follow #EducationFirst for updates.
Click here for the event's media advisory.