Information by Country
Issues facing children in Mauritania
- Alarming numbers of children are severely malnourished. Poverty, natural disasters and a lack of basic nutritional knowledge have worsened the crisis.
- Only 53 per cent of households have access to safe drinking water.
- Diarrhoeal diseases, malaria and acute respiratory infections still claim the lives of many young children.
- Recent National Immunization Day campaigns have been hampered by a lack of sufficient funds and vehicles. The cold chain equipment used to preserve vaccines is poorly managed and maintained.
- Landmines and unexploded ordnance remaining from the Saharawi war pose a hazard to children in the northern part of the country.